D-Mega®10. November 202028. November 2022
Advantages of D-Mega technology:
- Flexibility – independent control of fluid flow rates
- No emulsions, no flooding at high flow rates
- No density difference between liquids required
- Linear scale-up (modular equipment), possibility of integration
- Compact design consuming less energy
- Elevated mass transfer rate
- 500 times large contact area per unit volume than conventional liquid-liquid extraction columns
D-Mega is a novel process for extracting fatty acids such as DHA from aqueous biomass in a membrane contactor module.
Membrane contactor is a device containing a porous membrane (e.g., hydrophobic polyimide membranes) with the purpose of facilitating the contact between two phases (aqueous and organic phase). Membrane contactor technology can effectively be used in up-concetrating DHA from enzymatically hydrolyzed algal biomass.